Skip to main content

Let Me Explain


Ok, so I had this idea for a book.  A book about the struggles of a 21 century, feminist-ish woman dealing with life as a stay-at-home mom.  Yeah, so that woman is me.  And while someday, I may compile a book of episodes, for now we get a blog.
Don't get me wrong, I love, adore, treasure my children and my husband and I strongly belief that as a woman of God I should be at home with my children especially while they are young.  And while I never doubt any of the above mentioned, I do still have struggles one a day-to-day basis (and have had since day one of stay-home-mommy-ship).  
Ok, so I don't really qualify myself as a true feminist, mostly because I do believe that women should take pride and honor in raising their families.  However, I did grow up in a feminist culture.  Every woman in my family for a few generations have been "working women" (as if there is such a thing as a non-working woman, any and every woman has plenty of work to do).  My parents, like so many of my friends' parents, divorced when I was making the transition from junior high to high school.  And that event shed new light on why women should have an education.  I never really pictured myself as the stay-at–home type.  I think I just never thought about that.  I knew I wanted to get married someday, but children was such a far off thought...  I was dedicated to my studies in college and had plenty of big plans for my future career.  That is, until I met Geoff.
I don't want that to come across as a bad thing.  It undeniably isn't.  Geoff became my heart's beat and soon I was thinking of my future married life and what that would bring.  We talked about having children: how many, how soon, and of course,  how I would stay at home with them.  Without a conscious switch of gears, I was now a pre-stay–at-homer.  
So, here I am 8 1/2 years after that conversation with my then fiance, the mother of 4 children all born within a four year span.  I have attempted to work both from home and in the real world a few times since the birth of my oldest, but it just hasn't worked and really it just hasn't been right for us.  I am working on my Bachelor's and hope to have my Master's in Secondary Education before we move back to the States in 2012 and I may or may not join the 'work force' then.  Until such a time arises, I am a stay-at-homer thru and thru. 
Thus we see that a girl raised with feminist ideals and values (while not pronounced as feminist, some things just are) can in fact become a traditional, old-fashioned housewife.

Comments

kemp-y-QUA!! said…
i agree as a work-at-homer. as i ponder having kidlets, i wonder if i will be able to keep my sanity as a stay-at-homer.

excited for this blog- its good already

Popular posts from this blog

Life Unbidden

In the memorable words of Dr. Ian Malcolm played by the incomprable Jeff Goldblum, "Life finds a way." Even when we don't want it to, when we can't keep up, when we're exhausted... it just keeps coming. Life simply happens. But we must remember that we are created to be agents of action, not simply objects to be acted upon. Life comes at us unbidden, but we too can create the life we want. We can be the life unbidden. Life isn't merely something that happens around us, it's not just a force happening to us. Life happens within us. And with each exhale, we can speak life into existence all around us. We just have to be intentional, choosing moment to moment how to expend our energy. You are a child of God, the Great Creator; the DNA of creation makes up your every molecule. Don't wait to be bidden. Don't wait for approval. Listen to the beating of your own lifeforce. What life will you release into the world today? Now available: Life

It's January... well it was at any rate.

*I began writing this last month, but have been stalling finishing, because vulnerability is scary and it's sacred.  I don't write this lightly, but I write it in hopes that somewhere someone else needs to hear what I have to say. Three years ago, my father died.  It was January 4, 2011.  On January 6, 2011, I called my husband and said, "Congratulations, we have a 400 lb.. 12 year old.  He's a mess, but he's ours."  And I smiled. And I cried.  Because as those words came out of my mouth, the reality set in: our lives would never be the same.  I was scared to death.  I was having second thoughts.  I was anxious about how we would actually do this.  And then a peace settled back into me as God reminded me that no matter what happened next, this was the right thing to do and He was with us every step of the way. And He has been.  But that doesn't mean it's been pleasant... or pretty... or calm... or happy.  It's been a very rough, very messy th

the non-accomplishment list

Well, the deadline came and went yesterday.  And no, my book is not finished.  If it was, I would be shouting it from the rooftops on a megaphone attached to sub-woofers, broadcasting at sonic-boom decibels.  Sigh. I have been trying not to be super depressed or down on myself the last few days as I came to realize that I wasn't going to be able to meet my goal and have my work-in-progress completed by September 17th as I had made a pact with my BWFE (best-writing-friend-ever), Becca, that I would.  To pull myself out of the dumps and come a terms with how imperfect life is and how plans, even cemented ones, have a way of crumbling into microscopic dust, I have decided to make a list of all my non-accomplishments over the last six weeks and see if I can find a reason why my WIP is yet to be finished. (I must say though, I am uber close, like 2-3 chapters away from the end! I will finish within the next 2 weeks!!) My Non-Accomplishment List In the last six weeks since makin