Skip to main content

Waking UP

One of the hardest things to do as a stay-at-homer (for me at least) is get out of bed everyday.  It's not that I am depressed this is by no means the case, but it's getting up to someone else's needs everyday.  You know how, when you have a job outside of the home, you get up leave the house and go to work.  That's not so when you are a stay-at-homer.  I know!  It's craziness!  Seriously though...  So those who work at least have a variance in schedule.  The weekly grind and then the joy of the weekend.  It's not that they have nothing to do on the weekends (I'm sure working mother's play catch up on the weekends as do we all), but they have something different to do.  As a stay-at-homer, everyday is basically (not technically) the same.  You wake up have a short time to yourself and then it's breakfast, getting everyone dressed, brushing teeth, morning clean up, rushing to get somewhere on time, diffusing fights and tantrums, etc.  You get the picture?  Not that it's all negative you also get the hugs, kisses, sticky hands on your face, scribbly pictures made just for you, giggles, tickle wars...  And the best and the hardest of it is that no one compares to you.  No one can made the breakfast like mommy does, no one can kiss away the pain like mommy does, no one can wipe the snot and such like mommy does, no one can cuddle like mommy does, no one can sing or read like mommy does.  It's flattering and endearing and yet it's exhausting.  
So, back to the point, there are days when it is just simply hard to get up.  More than anything you just want to do your own thing for a day... or two.  Today, was one of those days.  I just wanted 5 more minutes to myself before getting up.  Unfortunately, I chose the wrong day.  My little one came into to wake me and I pulled her up into bed with me and tried to convince her to go back to sleep.  Wo is me.  Not 2 minutes later I was covered in vomit.  It was great.  Poor girl was sick and I hadn't noticed.  I should just realize sleep is over-rated anyway.  It was a rude awaking, but a needed one.  One thing a stay-at-homer (and any mom for that matter) has to be weary of is selfishness.  Parenting is the most selfless job in the world... Whether you want it to be or not. 

Comments

michelle said…
Great thoughts on the subject. I find myself kind of in the middle, a mom who works IN the home. I really look forward to the summers when I can spend quality time with my girls but then I realize that I have to entertain them the WHOLE day...it's seems a little easier when Kylie gets to play with "friends" during preschool 4 hours a day.
One thing I have learned is that I cannot work full time. Last year I taught 2 classes a day 5 days a week and I was MISERABLE! Grouchy, stressed, and tired all the time. This year I do 2 classes three days a week and things are A LOT better. I enjoy spending time teaching and being creative but I also like those days to have time with my girls. So I realize it is very important to be a stay at home mom and that each mom needs some variety, and time to themselves with hobbies and interests.

Popular posts from this blog

Life Unbidden

In the memorable words of Dr. Ian Malcolm played by the incomprable Jeff Goldblum, "Life finds a way." Even when we don't want it to, when we can't keep up, when we're exhausted... it just keeps coming. Life simply happens. But we must remember that we are created to be agents of action, not simply objects to be acted upon. Life comes at us unbidden, but we too can create the life we want. We can be the life unbidden. Life isn't merely something that happens around us, it's not just a force happening to us. Life happens within us. And with each exhale, we can speak life into existence all around us. We just have to be intentional, choosing moment to moment how to expend our energy. You are a child of God, the Great Creator; the DNA of creation makes up your every molecule. Don't wait to be bidden. Don't wait for approval. Listen to the beating of your own lifeforce. What life will you release into the world today? Now available: Life

It's January... well it was at any rate.

*I began writing this last month, but have been stalling finishing, because vulnerability is scary and it's sacred.  I don't write this lightly, but I write it in hopes that somewhere someone else needs to hear what I have to say. Three years ago, my father died.  It was January 4, 2011.  On January 6, 2011, I called my husband and said, "Congratulations, we have a 400 lb.. 12 year old.  He's a mess, but he's ours."  And I smiled. And I cried.  Because as those words came out of my mouth, the reality set in: our lives would never be the same.  I was scared to death.  I was having second thoughts.  I was anxious about how we would actually do this.  And then a peace settled back into me as God reminded me that no matter what happened next, this was the right thing to do and He was with us every step of the way. And He has been.  But that doesn't mean it's been pleasant... or pretty... or calm... or happy.  It's been a very rough, very messy th

the non-accomplishment list

Well, the deadline came and went yesterday.  And no, my book is not finished.  If it was, I would be shouting it from the rooftops on a megaphone attached to sub-woofers, broadcasting at sonic-boom decibels.  Sigh. I have been trying not to be super depressed or down on myself the last few days as I came to realize that I wasn't going to be able to meet my goal and have my work-in-progress completed by September 17th as I had made a pact with my BWFE (best-writing-friend-ever), Becca, that I would.  To pull myself out of the dumps and come a terms with how imperfect life is and how plans, even cemented ones, have a way of crumbling into microscopic dust, I have decided to make a list of all my non-accomplishments over the last six weeks and see if I can find a reason why my WIP is yet to be finished. (I must say though, I am uber close, like 2-3 chapters away from the end! I will finish within the next 2 weeks!!) My Non-Accomplishment List In the last six weeks since makin