Skip to main content

Women of the World, Unite! Well, Women of the US, Unite!!

Got this via email today and thought that at this time of year it was appropriate to share.  It's interesting, I don't know how wrote this email.  Don't know how much is true and how much is exaggerated, but I find myself not caring.  It is inspirational.  I know that some of the basic facts are true, i.e. women went to jail so I could vote!!!  Wake up call Ladies, get your butts out there and make a difference.  Get your butts out there and show some gratitude for the privilege given to you through sacrifice and torture.  Get out there and VOTE!!!


This is the story of our Grandmothers and Great-grandmothers; they lived only 90 years ago.

Remember it was not until 1920 that women were granted the right to go to the polls and vote.

The women were innocent and defenseless, but they were jailed nonetheless for picketing the White House, carrying signs asking for the vote.

(Lucy Burns)
And by the end of the night, they were barely alive.  Forty prison guards wielding clubs and their warden's blessing went on a rampage against the 33 women wrongly convicted of 'obstructing sidewalk traffic.'
They beat Lucy Burns, chained her hands to the cell bars above her head and left her hanging for the night, bleeding and gasping for air.

(Dora Lewis)
They hurled Dora Lewis into a dark cell, smashed her head against an iron bed and knocked her out cold.  Her cell mate Alice Cosu, thought Lewis was dead and suffered a heart attack.  Additional affidavits described the guards grabbing, dragging, beating , choking, slamming, pinching, twisting and kicking the women.

This unfolded the "Night of Terror" on Nov. 15, 1917, when the warden at Occoquan Workhouse in Virginia ordered his guards to teach a lesson tot he suffragists imprisoned there because they dared to picket Woodrow Wilson's White House for the right to vote.  
For weeks, the women's only water came from an open pail.  Their food--all of it colorless slop--was infested with worms.

(Alice Paul)
When one of the leaders, Alice Paul, embarked on a hunger strike, they tied her to a chair, forced a tube down her throat and poured liquid into her until she vomited.  She was tortured like this for weeks until word was smuggled out to the press.
http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/colections/suffrage/nwp/prisoners.pdf

So, refresh my memory.  Some women won't vote this year because--why exactly?  We have carpool duties?  We have to get to work?  Our vote doesn't matter?  It's raining?

Here the author refers to a movie depicting the women suffrage movement and many of the above.  Here is some of what she wrote:

It is jarring to watch Woodrow Wilson and his cronies to try to persuade a psychiatrist to declare Alice Paul insane so that she could be permanently institutionalized.  And it is inspiring to watch the doctor refuse.  Alice Paul was strong, he said, and brave.  That didn't make her crazy.

The doctor admonished the men: "Courage in women is often mistaken for insanity."


Ok, so, are you motivated to pick up were these women left off?  Luckily we don't have to, all we have to do is drive to the local school and pull back a dusty curtain in a tiny cubicle.  I know that cubicle can be daunting (will my big butt fit in there? luckily for me, I get to vote via US Mail!), but the question is: is getting to that cubicle worth it?  A question you can only answer for yourself.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Unbidden

In the memorable words of Dr. Ian Malcolm played by the incomprable Jeff Goldblum, "Life finds a way." Even when we don't want it to, when we can't keep up, when we're exhausted... it just keeps coming. Life simply happens. But we must remember that we are created to be agents of action, not simply objects to be acted upon. Life comes at us unbidden, but we too can create the life we want. We can be the life unbidden. Life isn't merely something that happens around us, it's not just a force happening to us. Life happens within us. And with each exhale, we can speak life into existence all around us. We just have to be intentional, choosing moment to moment how to expend our energy. You are a child of God, the Great Creator; the DNA of creation makes up your every molecule. Don't wait to be bidden. Don't wait for approval. Listen to the beating of your own lifeforce. What life will you release into the world today? Now available: Life

It's January... well it was at any rate.

*I began writing this last month, but have been stalling finishing, because vulnerability is scary and it's sacred.  I don't write this lightly, but I write it in hopes that somewhere someone else needs to hear what I have to say. Three years ago, my father died.  It was January 4, 2011.  On January 6, 2011, I called my husband and said, "Congratulations, we have a 400 lb.. 12 year old.  He's a mess, but he's ours."  And I smiled. And I cried.  Because as those words came out of my mouth, the reality set in: our lives would never be the same.  I was scared to death.  I was having second thoughts.  I was anxious about how we would actually do this.  And then a peace settled back into me as God reminded me that no matter what happened next, this was the right thing to do and He was with us every step of the way. And He has been.  But that doesn't mean it's been pleasant... or pretty... or calm... or happy.  It's been a very rough, very messy th

the non-accomplishment list

Well, the deadline came and went yesterday.  And no, my book is not finished.  If it was, I would be shouting it from the rooftops on a megaphone attached to sub-woofers, broadcasting at sonic-boom decibels.  Sigh. I have been trying not to be super depressed or down on myself the last few days as I came to realize that I wasn't going to be able to meet my goal and have my work-in-progress completed by September 17th as I had made a pact with my BWFE (best-writing-friend-ever), Becca, that I would.  To pull myself out of the dumps and come a terms with how imperfect life is and how plans, even cemented ones, have a way of crumbling into microscopic dust, I have decided to make a list of all my non-accomplishments over the last six weeks and see if I can find a reason why my WIP is yet to be finished. (I must say though, I am uber close, like 2-3 chapters away from the end! I will finish within the next 2 weeks!!) My Non-Accomplishment List In the last six weeks since makin