Skip to main content

Miracle on a Monday

One of the biggest downsides of homeschooling is taking all the kids everywhere you have to go.  Mine are getting old enough and responsible enough that I can leave them for short bursts and they do fine.  But today wasn't a day that I could leave them, so I packed up my black 4square backpack with tons of paper and markers, some candy, a few deck of cards, and the iPad and we were off.

 After 1.5 hrs of speech appointments and then driving 15 minutes for Bruncle's (as in brother/uncle, 14) appointment with the developmental ped and waiting nearly 25 minutes after our appointment time at which point my children were all overly cranky and whiney and fighting--admittedly I was d.o.n.e by that point too--I panicked when the Dr said, "Just mom and patient back in the room please."  I quickly handed my iPhone over to baby girl (7) and reminded the bb bandits (twins 9) and oldest brother (11) to 'just behave' and said, "Please come get me if there is a problem" to the sweet girl behind the desk.  I said silent prayers all through our meeting with the dr that the kids wouldn't fight or break anything or drive the desk girl crazy.  When all was said and done, 45 minutes later, I asked the girl at the front desk if they were ok.  "Ok?" she said, making me a million shades of nervous, "they were the best kids I've ever had in here.  The world needs more well behaved children.... actually, the world needs more children who are as well taught as these.  They were excellent.  Can they all have suckers?"

Score one for mom!  And a round of suckers for the kiddos.

But what the girl said has stuck with me all evening, keeping a little smile on my lips.  I am not the type to brag about myself or my children, so I don't want this post to come across that way.  However, today was a tender mercy, a miraculous validation for me as a mom that what I am doing in my home is paying off and that it's important and has value in society.


As a stay-at-home mom, and a homeschooling one at that, there are two battles I am constantly fighting: the first is with myself--am I doing what's right for my kids, am I do enough, am I an effective teacher, are my kids going to be royally screwed up because I can't seem to go 5 minutes without completely loosing my grip; the second is with society--not everyone thinks mom's are qualified to teach their children, or raise them for that matter, even in the Christian community there is always someone questioning my motives and my qualifications.  So again, today was a win on both fronts.  I got to see the fruit of my efforts, though in a seemingly small way, as my children diligently controlled themselves and behaved outstandingly well during a time when they could have so easily fallen apart.  All those countless hours of dealing out consequences and teaching them self control and good manors actually sunk in!!!  And also today, my faith in society was given a little boost.  Someone saw me, a simple mother, saw what I was trying to accomplish and appreciated it.  There are people out there that do value the role of the parent.  That do believe parents should be the ones raising and teaching their children.  And I'm not talking about homeschooling, just plain everyday how-to-function-in-the-world teaching.  The sweet girl saw the good I am trying to develop and nurture and she appreciated it, she appreciated me and my children.

So, no matter what type of mom you are, take a big deep breath and know that you're doing good, that someday all that you are teaching is going to sink in and shine through and that there are people in this world that see the good you are doing and appreciate you.

*disclaimer: my children have also broken furniture, flooded toilets and throw glass-shattering tantrums in doctors offices over the years, do NOT think that they must just be mild children.  Today truly was miraculous.  And don't despair that you will never have these little triumphs... good things come to those that work unceasingly for it!




 p.s. Baby Girl has finally lost her two front teeth.  




p.p.s. every first she has is one of my lasts and I can physically feel the mommy doors closing behind her.  #myhearthurts

Comments

michelle said…
Yay for tender mercies! I admire you so much! I don't know how you do it!
I sure don't do it alone! With God all things are possible, right?

Popular posts from this blog

Life Unbidden

In the memorable words of Dr. Ian Malcolm played by the incomprable Jeff Goldblum, "Life finds a way." Even when we don't want it to, when we can't keep up, when we're exhausted... it just keeps coming. Life simply happens. But we must remember that we are created to be agents of action, not simply objects to be acted upon. Life comes at us unbidden, but we too can create the life we want. We can be the life unbidden. Life isn't merely something that happens around us, it's not just a force happening to us. Life happens within us. And with each exhale, we can speak life into existence all around us. We just have to be intentional, choosing moment to moment how to expend our energy. You are a child of God, the Great Creator; the DNA of creation makes up your every molecule. Don't wait to be bidden. Don't wait for approval. Listen to the beating of your own lifeforce. What life will you release into the world today? Now available: Life

It's January... well it was at any rate.

*I began writing this last month, but have been stalling finishing, because vulnerability is scary and it's sacred.  I don't write this lightly, but I write it in hopes that somewhere someone else needs to hear what I have to say. Three years ago, my father died.  It was January 4, 2011.  On January 6, 2011, I called my husband and said, "Congratulations, we have a 400 lb.. 12 year old.  He's a mess, but he's ours."  And I smiled. And I cried.  Because as those words came out of my mouth, the reality set in: our lives would never be the same.  I was scared to death.  I was having second thoughts.  I was anxious about how we would actually do this.  And then a peace settled back into me as God reminded me that no matter what happened next, this was the right thing to do and He was with us every step of the way. And He has been.  But that doesn't mean it's been pleasant... or pretty... or calm... or happy.  It's been a very rough, very messy th

the non-accomplishment list

Well, the deadline came and went yesterday.  And no, my book is not finished.  If it was, I would be shouting it from the rooftops on a megaphone attached to sub-woofers, broadcasting at sonic-boom decibels.  Sigh. I have been trying not to be super depressed or down on myself the last few days as I came to realize that I wasn't going to be able to meet my goal and have my work-in-progress completed by September 17th as I had made a pact with my BWFE (best-writing-friend-ever), Becca, that I would.  To pull myself out of the dumps and come a terms with how imperfect life is and how plans, even cemented ones, have a way of crumbling into microscopic dust, I have decided to make a list of all my non-accomplishments over the last six weeks and see if I can find a reason why my WIP is yet to be finished. (I must say though, I am uber close, like 2-3 chapters away from the end! I will finish within the next 2 weeks!!) My Non-Accomplishment List In the last six weeks since makin