Skip to main content

A Fluid Concept

Normal: noun
the usual, average, or typical state or condition Normaladjectiveconforming to a standardusualtypicalor expected According to my dictionary app:Most people want to be regarded as normal, an adjective that implies conformity with established norms or standards and is the opposite of abnormal (a normal body temperature; normal intelligence).Regular, like normal, is usually preferred to its opposite (irregular) and implies conformity to prescribed standards or established patterns (their regular monthly meeting; a regular guy), but normal carries stronger connotations of conformity within prescribed limits and sometimes allows for a wider range of differences.
photo credit: here


What do you think?  Do you buy into this definition?  Do you think normal is such a rigid concept.  I'm not sure I do.  Here is why:  This is a definition of all the normalness in my life.




Normalcy 



Normal is looking up at the endless blue sky of Texas and missing the gray skies of England.



Normal is cuddling up to my husband at night as I fall asleep, dreaming as I breathe in the essence of him.  Normal is cuddling up to a pillow dressed up in his cologne-scented Venom tee.


Normal is choosing not to waste money on dessert when out to dinner with the whole family and then having no choice about needing it to fill the hole in my center with chocolate when he is missing from our whole.

Normal is drifting off to the background symphony that is Metal Gear Solid around 9 pm one week and the next finding myself still uncomfortably awake in the painful silence at 3 A.M.

Normal is thanking God for my husband when he rescues me from a tantrumming toddler and cursing the Universe for the birth of every male when my husband lets me down, even if it is by no fault of his own making.

Normal is crying, yearning to feel his tender arms around me after 8 months without them and normal is crying because I need space after a few months of their constant presence.

Normal is praying for sunshine in the winter.  Normal is praying for clouds and rain in the scorching summer.  Normal is hiding my head under my pillow every morning not really caring about the weather.  Normal is waking up next to the man I love... and singing.

Normal is happy, healthy, emotionally balanced children; children confident in who they are and in their parents’ love. Normal is children that are emotional wrecks and crack at the smallest things, children that cry at night because dad is gone.

Normal is a tidy house, a balanced checkbook.  Normal is utter chaos, overflowing garbage cans, mounds of dirty laundry and no food in the house.

Normal is taking pride in serving our country, willingly sacrificing for the greater good of all and at the same time hating the establishment and damning the man for all unnecessary, senseless sacrifices.

Normal is the comfort of security and stability.  Normal is the anxiety of the unknown, uncertain future.


Normal is consistency.  Normal is ever changing madness.

    My life is perfectly normal.



Of course, this is my description of what is normal as a military family, what's normal for me to experience.  I think it is a universal mindset though to have this idea of how things should be, this expectation that makes our lives sometime seem abnormal or even substandard.  Sometimes, we say 'but it's not supposed to be like this' and we sell our experiences short of their true beauty.  We long to be normal.  To live a normal life.  The thing is, normal is a much more fluid concept.  It is often situational.  And it can seldom if ever (aka never) be compared to someone else's experiences.




photo credit: here



Maybe it's like this rainbow cutting across the sky, dividing it in two distinct halves, one dark and the other light.  We might look at that and exclaim 'would you have ever imagined such a thing' or 'it's so unreal' or we might even find it unsettling in it's abnormalness, might question what it means.  But I think a lot of us would find it's unique nature, it's simultaneous capturing of light and dark, beautiful and inspiring--I doubt many people would see this and say 'freakin' rainbow, that's not what a rainbow is supposed to look like' or 'Tell me when it's gone, it's offending my retinas' or 'I really hope I never see anything like that again'.  Our life experiences are much the same: unimaginable, surreal, unsettling, but beautiful, certainly not warranting our animosity, shame or disgust.  If only we will allow ourselves to stop longing for what 'should be' and learn to except 'what is', then maybe we can see the exquisite nature of our own existence and revel in all the glorious abnormalness.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Unbidden

In the memorable words of Dr. Ian Malcolm played by the incomprable Jeff Goldblum, "Life finds a way." Even when we don't want it to, when we can't keep up, when we're exhausted... it just keeps coming. Life simply happens. But we must remember that we are created to be agents of action, not simply objects to be acted upon. Life comes at us unbidden, but we too can create the life we want. We can be the life unbidden. Life isn't merely something that happens around us, it's not just a force happening to us. Life happens within us. And with each exhale, we can speak life into existence all around us. We just have to be intentional, choosing moment to moment how to expend our energy. You are a child of God, the Great Creator; the DNA of creation makes up your every molecule. Don't wait to be bidden. Don't wait for approval. Listen to the beating of your own lifeforce. What life will you release into the world today? Now available: Life

It's January... well it was at any rate.

*I began writing this last month, but have been stalling finishing, because vulnerability is scary and it's sacred.  I don't write this lightly, but I write it in hopes that somewhere someone else needs to hear what I have to say. Three years ago, my father died.  It was January 4, 2011.  On January 6, 2011, I called my husband and said, "Congratulations, we have a 400 lb.. 12 year old.  He's a mess, but he's ours."  And I smiled. And I cried.  Because as those words came out of my mouth, the reality set in: our lives would never be the same.  I was scared to death.  I was having second thoughts.  I was anxious about how we would actually do this.  And then a peace settled back into me as God reminded me that no matter what happened next, this was the right thing to do and He was with us every step of the way. And He has been.  But that doesn't mean it's been pleasant... or pretty... or calm... or happy.  It's been a very rough, very messy th

the non-accomplishment list

Well, the deadline came and went yesterday.  And no, my book is not finished.  If it was, I would be shouting it from the rooftops on a megaphone attached to sub-woofers, broadcasting at sonic-boom decibels.  Sigh. I have been trying not to be super depressed or down on myself the last few days as I came to realize that I wasn't going to be able to meet my goal and have my work-in-progress completed by September 17th as I had made a pact with my BWFE (best-writing-friend-ever), Becca, that I would.  To pull myself out of the dumps and come a terms with how imperfect life is and how plans, even cemented ones, have a way of crumbling into microscopic dust, I have decided to make a list of all my non-accomplishments over the last six weeks and see if I can find a reason why my WIP is yet to be finished. (I must say though, I am uber close, like 2-3 chapters away from the end! I will finish within the next 2 weeks!!) My Non-Accomplishment List In the last six weeks since makin