Skip to main content

The Reality of This Side of Invisible

Since announcing "I finished my book" and then posting the first chapter online, I've had a lot of comments, really great endearing comments, about how awesome it is, how awesome I am for doing it.  I love the encouragement, but at the same time, the strokes to my ego rake down my spine with painful unease.  Please, let me explain why.

I am excited and amazed and humbled by my own accomplishment.  I am thrilled that after nearly three years, I was able to get my story out of my head and on paper... well, computer.   That being said, I don't want people mistakingly thinking that I did something they couldn't.  Nor do I want anyone thinking I'm some sort of super-mom able to do it all with grace and poise.  While the world (or at least my little corner of the world) sees that I have finished a novel, here is what they don't see:

The world doesn't see the days I spend at the computer in my pajamas with a red-headed afro and day-long morning breath.  The world doesn't see my children running a muck (in their pajamas), scattering food and legos and dirty laundry through the house.  The world doesn't hear my gruff comments and short commands from my computer chair.  The world doesn't smell the funk from my sink full of dishes or my overflowing garage bins.  No one comments on my unkempt lawn or takes note of our filthy cars.  No one sees the neglect that comes when I am absorbed in my writing.  In short, the world doesn't see my reality.


I had intended to put an actual picture of my messy house as it sits today, but alas my phone died and so...

I find no shame in my behind-the-scenes because, you see, it is mathematically and physically impossible to give 100% to everything all the time.  I simply can't be a great housewife, cook, mother, etc and be an accomplished writer, singer, sewer, crafter, etc.  I can be a good housewife who, on occasion, leaves the dishes and the laundry to be finished tomorrow... or the next day.  I can be a good cook and make nutritious meals for my children while at the same time teaching my kids to self-sustain on pb&j, particularly on those occasions when I don't get around to cooking those super nutritious meals.  I can be a good mother who nurtures, plays with and teaches her children... especially to entertain themselves and resolve their own conflicts... and who tunes them out so they can practice their skills.  I can even be a writer who accomplishes many things, usually after many hours of procrastinating on the web and while ignoring the rest of the planet.  But never, in any given moment, can I be my best of all of those thing all at the same time.  Because I'm not super human.

I've heard it said multiple time lately that we shouldn't compare our behind-the-scenes with another person's highlight reel.  How true is that?  And how often do we do precisely that?  Social media is amazing and uplifting and enlightening when we let it be.  But it is also damning in so many ways, and the habit of comparison is most damaging part.

Please, be kind to yourself.   Everyone is capable of having dreams, setting goals and accomplishing great things... and making a mess in the process.  Not that I'm advocating for neglecting all our duties, letting everything go to pot and selfishly doing whatever we want.  I'm simply saying: the path of life is a dirty and glorious thing.  And the dirt is part of the glory.  Promise.



p.s. a friend of mine also recently wrote about her behind-the-scenes.  you can read it at Keeping Up With the Chaos

Comments

Jessica said…
This reminded me of a post my sister did a bit ago. http://tracywinegar.blogspot.com/2013/07/summer-madness.html I also thought you might be interested in this one that she wrote about a writing workshop that she went to. http://tracywinegar.blogspot.com/2013/04/league-of-utah-writers-workshop.html

Popular posts from this blog

Life Unbidden

In the memorable words of Dr. Ian Malcolm played by the incomprable Jeff Goldblum, "Life finds a way." Even when we don't want it to, when we can't keep up, when we're exhausted... it just keeps coming. Life simply happens. But we must remember that we are created to be agents of action, not simply objects to be acted upon. Life comes at us unbidden, but we too can create the life we want. We can be the life unbidden. Life isn't merely something that happens around us, it's not just a force happening to us. Life happens within us. And with each exhale, we can speak life into existence all around us. We just have to be intentional, choosing moment to moment how to expend our energy. You are a child of God, the Great Creator; the DNA of creation makes up your every molecule. Don't wait to be bidden. Don't wait for approval. Listen to the beating of your own lifeforce. What life will you release into the world today? Now available: Life

It's January... well it was at any rate.

*I began writing this last month, but have been stalling finishing, because vulnerability is scary and it's sacred.  I don't write this lightly, but I write it in hopes that somewhere someone else needs to hear what I have to say. Three years ago, my father died.  It was January 4, 2011.  On January 6, 2011, I called my husband and said, "Congratulations, we have a 400 lb.. 12 year old.  He's a mess, but he's ours."  And I smiled. And I cried.  Because as those words came out of my mouth, the reality set in: our lives would never be the same.  I was scared to death.  I was having second thoughts.  I was anxious about how we would actually do this.  And then a peace settled back into me as God reminded me that no matter what happened next, this was the right thing to do and He was with us every step of the way. And He has been.  But that doesn't mean it's been pleasant... or pretty... or calm... or happy.  It's been a very rough, very messy th

the non-accomplishment list

Well, the deadline came and went yesterday.  And no, my book is not finished.  If it was, I would be shouting it from the rooftops on a megaphone attached to sub-woofers, broadcasting at sonic-boom decibels.  Sigh. I have been trying not to be super depressed or down on myself the last few days as I came to realize that I wasn't going to be able to meet my goal and have my work-in-progress completed by September 17th as I had made a pact with my BWFE (best-writing-friend-ever), Becca, that I would.  To pull myself out of the dumps and come a terms with how imperfect life is and how plans, even cemented ones, have a way of crumbling into microscopic dust, I have decided to make a list of all my non-accomplishments over the last six weeks and see if I can find a reason why my WIP is yet to be finished. (I must say though, I am uber close, like 2-3 chapters away from the end! I will finish within the next 2 weeks!!) My Non-Accomplishment List In the last six weeks since makin