Skip to main content

No More Hiding

-->Au Naturel: in a natural state; without anything added. Bare: devoid of amplification or adornment; lacking tools or weapons. Raw: not treated or prepared for presentation, marked absence of refinements, unprotected. Nude: without conventional covering; having a natural appearance. Naked: devoid of concealment or disguise; lacking embellishment.

In the beginning, God’s children came into this world naked and naked they remained while in close communion with Him. It was only after Adam and Eve had gone against their Father’s wishes and partaken of the forbidden fruit that Satan pointed to their nakedness and shamed them for it, pushing them to hide themselves from God.

It has been the story ever since.

Death is a separation of our spirit and bodies. Eternal death or spiritual death is a separation from our Father in Heaven. This is the Adversary’s sole focus. And since the beginning he’s known just how to push us away from God. He villainizes our divine origin, our naked and raw state we are sent here in. He convinces us that we are too broken to be of God, too unrefined, too unadorned to be in His presence. And too often, we believe that great liar. We look down at our nakedness, our unfinished, non-embellished being and feel unworthy. And we hide.

The problems with hiding are many, but first and foremost, we are committing a spiritual suicide of sorts, denying ourselves communion with our Father. We hide in many ways, through concealing, altering, and disguising our true selves. All the while, being false to our divine nature, cutting ourselves off from who we are, denying a loving relationship not only with our God, but also with ourselves.

We listen to Satan and his minions, the many voices of the world and culture we live in, and we create a façade, a woman to hide behind, to conceal the woman we wish we could be openly and without fear.

Women of God have no need to hide from themselves or from their Father. We may feel like broken, soiled vessels, but in truth we are His most lovely creation, the last life placed on the earth, the crowning jewel. President Gordon B. Hinckley words it so perfectly: “Having looked over all of [His creations], it declared it to be good. He then created man in His own likeness and image. Then as His final creation, the crowning of His glorious work, He created woman. I like to regard Eve as His masterpiece after all that had gone before, the final work before He rested from His labors.”



That is why this year I’m working on embracing my nakedness, that raw state in which I was created. I’m working to bare myself, my thoughts, my feelings, my dreams and the desires of my heart to myself and to my Father. After all, I am His daughter. I’m striving to be comfortable in my own skin, to allow myself to walk into the world nude, au naturel, unprepared for presentation to my peers. To accept myself for the woman I am, to resist the urge to conceal myself behind worldly ornaments and trendy disguises. After all, I am loved just as I am.

As President Dieter F. Uchtdorf so beautiful said:
“You are loved. You are dear to your heavenly parents. The infinite and eternal Creator of light and life knows you! He is mindful of you. Yes, God loves you this very day and always. 


He is not waiting to love you until you have overcome your weaknesses and bad habits. He loves you today with a full understanding of your struggles. He is aware that you reach up to Him in heartfelt and hopeful prayer. He knows of the times you have held onto the fading light and believed—even in the midst of growing darkness. He knows of your suffering. He knows of your remorse for the times you have fallen short or failed. And still He loves you.

And God knows of your successes; though they may seem too small to you, He acknowledges and cherishes each one of them. He knows everything about you. He sees you clearly—He knows you as you really are. And He loves you—today and always!

Do you suppose it matters to our Heavenly Father whether your makeup, hair, and nails are perfect? Do you think your value to Him changes based on how many followers you have on Instagram or Pinterest? Do you think He wants you to worry or get depressed if some un-friend or un-follow you on Facebook or Twitter? Do you think outward attractiveness, your dress size, or popularity make the slightest difference in your worth to the One who created the Universe?

He loves you not only for who you are this very day but also for the person of glory and light you have the potential and the desire to become.

More than you could ever imagine, He wants you to achieve your destiny.”

So, I’m dropping the tools and the weapons I’ve been handed by society to prove my womanhood, and instead I’ll be utilizing the means God has given me to reach my full potential. I'm choosing not to hide myself away. Instead, I choose to seek my God, and myself, in every moment of every day from now on.

Originally, I named this blog This Side of Invisible to give myself the courage to share all that is hidden. This year, I hope to stop hiding.

Let 2015 be the year of the Naked. 
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Life Unbidden

In the memorable words of Dr. Ian Malcolm played by the incomprable Jeff Goldblum, "Life finds a way." Even when we don't want it to, when we can't keep up, when we're exhausted... it just keeps coming. Life simply happens. But we must remember that we are created to be agents of action, not simply objects to be acted upon. Life comes at us unbidden, but we too can create the life we want. We can be the life unbidden. Life isn't merely something that happens around us, it's not just a force happening to us. Life happens within us. And with each exhale, we can speak life into existence all around us. We just have to be intentional, choosing moment to moment how to expend our energy. You are a child of God, the Great Creator; the DNA of creation makes up your every molecule. Don't wait to be bidden. Don't wait for approval. Listen to the beating of your own lifeforce. What life will you release into the world today? Now available: Life

It's January... well it was at any rate.

*I began writing this last month, but have been stalling finishing, because vulnerability is scary and it's sacred.  I don't write this lightly, but I write it in hopes that somewhere someone else needs to hear what I have to say. Three years ago, my father died.  It was January 4, 2011.  On January 6, 2011, I called my husband and said, "Congratulations, we have a 400 lb.. 12 year old.  He's a mess, but he's ours."  And I smiled. And I cried.  Because as those words came out of my mouth, the reality set in: our lives would never be the same.  I was scared to death.  I was having second thoughts.  I was anxious about how we would actually do this.  And then a peace settled back into me as God reminded me that no matter what happened next, this was the right thing to do and He was with us every step of the way. And He has been.  But that doesn't mean it's been pleasant... or pretty... or calm... or happy.  It's been a very rough, very messy th

the non-accomplishment list

Well, the deadline came and went yesterday.  And no, my book is not finished.  If it was, I would be shouting it from the rooftops on a megaphone attached to sub-woofers, broadcasting at sonic-boom decibels.  Sigh. I have been trying not to be super depressed or down on myself the last few days as I came to realize that I wasn't going to be able to meet my goal and have my work-in-progress completed by September 17th as I had made a pact with my BWFE (best-writing-friend-ever), Becca, that I would.  To pull myself out of the dumps and come a terms with how imperfect life is and how plans, even cemented ones, have a way of crumbling into microscopic dust, I have decided to make a list of all my non-accomplishments over the last six weeks and see if I can find a reason why my WIP is yet to be finished. (I must say though, I am uber close, like 2-3 chapters away from the end! I will finish within the next 2 weeks!!) My Non-Accomplishment List In the last six weeks since makin